Study Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment at Interlink
Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment (UETTDRVC24) gives you the knowledge and confidence to make recommendations on the best control measures to use before cutting and pruning around powerlines, cables and other apparatus up to the live work zone.
Learn techniques to use when selecting an appropriate vegetation control method. Gain the skills to look for defects and potential hazards in trees and other plant life near live electrical apparatus before pruning.
Learn to follow industry guidelines for live work zones and to implement control measures to reduce hazards and risks in the workplace.
What do I get for completing Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment?
Completing Interlink’s course meets the national requirements for the accredited Unit of Competency (UETTDRVC24).
Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment (UETTDRVC24) is a competency within the Certificate II in ESI – Powerline Vegetation Control.
You will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment when you successfully complete this course.
Note: This course superseded UETTDRVC24A – Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment in September 2019.
What will I learn during Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment?
Interlink’s course teaches you to make effective recommendations to control vegetation within the electrical supply industry. Controlling plant growth and regrowth near powerlines and other live electrical apparatus is a vitally important component of ensuring a reliable power supply.
Learn established and reliable methods for assessing vegetation, especially trees, for any defects and learn to analyse your results and make recommendations. Gain an understanding of the problems you can encounter when implementing control measures near live electrical apparatus and come up with solutions and techniques to meet established procedures.
During your course you will develop your operational knowledge for assessing vegetation as well as study different cutting techniques for different plant species and how to select the right machinery or chemical equipment for the job.
Learn the importance of preparation when making your recommendations. Confirm all work instructions, requirements and procedures including WHS/OHS policies. Incorporate sustainable energy principles into your plan and consider the need for road signs and other safety barriers in your site preparation.
What sort of assessments can I expect to complete?
Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment (UETTDRVC24) contains a combination of written and practical assessments.
Written assessments test your knowledge of key learning outcomes including:
- Identifying different species and documenting their characteristics and defects
- Principles for assessing the condition of the vegetation and for directing its growth away from live electrical equipment
- Understanding different vegetation control equipment including mulching tools, chainsaws, mowers, herbicide applicators and their specific uses
- The purpose and use of cutting plans
- Different cutting techniques using handsaws, chainsaws and other implements
- Types of PPE applicable to vegetation control such as gloves, face guards and protective eyewear
- Hazard assessment and risk management principles relevant to vegetation control including techniques to eliminate or minimise these risks
- Identifying electrical hazards and operating up to the safe work zone near energised electrical equipment
- Workplace signage (traffic management, unauthorised access, etc)
- Compiling and recording assessment data.
Practical assessments assess your ability to demonstrate performance criteria such as:
- Applying relevant work health and safety and occupational health and safety requirements
- Incorporating sustainable energy principles and practices
- Recommending correct and safe pruning or cutting methods when working near live electrical equipment
- Conducting pre -and post-operational checks and maintenance on tools and equipment
- Demonstrating safe cutting, pruning and tree trimming practices
- Providing correct advice about different vegetation species including their characteristics, possible defects and suitable cutting plans
- Identifying tree types and vegetation species
- Confirming appropriate machinery and cutting techniques for different species
- Demonstrating operational knowledge associated with assessing vegetation near live electrical apparatus such as the principles of electricity, the three-phase power system and safe working zones
- Identifying and controlling hazards
- Analysing and making decisions taking into account the site conditions site and weather conditions.
Assessment are conducted within realistic, workplace settings and are held over the duration of the unit.
This course is available through all Interlink training centres.
Call Interlink on 1300 731 669 to discuss your training options.
Single accredited units run between 1-4 days. Contact Interlink to plan your study schedule.
To meet the requirements for Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment (UETTDRVC24) you must also complete:
UEENEEE101A Apply Occupational Health and Safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace
UETTDREL13 Comply with sustainability, environmental and incidental response policies and procedures
UETTDREL14 Working safely near live electrical apparatus as a non-electrical worker
UETTDRVC23 Plan the removal of vegetation up to vegetation exclusion zone near live electrical apparatus
UETTDRVC27 Monitor safety compliance of vegetation control work in an ESI environment
To successfully complete this course participants will need intermediate literacy and numeracy skills.
Call Interlink on 1300 731 669 to discuss your training options.
Course fees vary per unit and duration. Please contact Interlink to find out more.
Please note: Interlink Training is not VET FEE-HELP approved. Government training subsidies are not available for this course.
Face-to-face sessions within small groups.
Assess vegetation and recommend control measures in an ESI environment (UETTDRVC24) is a competency within the Certificate II in ESI – Powerline Vegetation Control. Complete your Certificate level qualification to work in the electricity supply industry.
Attendance at this course does not automatically guarantee attainment of competency, nor does satisfactory completion of assessment and attainment of competency guarantee employment.