Study Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform at Interlink
Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform (UETDRVC004) gives you the skills required to perform necessary pruning operations near electrical conductors, cables, powerlines and other equipment from an elevated work platform.
Keeping tree and plant life clear from electrical cables, conductors, powerlines and other equipment is necessary to maintain a safe and reliable power supply to the community. Learn to access trees from above ground and perform pruning management tasks to keep vegetation away from electrical supply equipment.
Apply relevant workplace health and safety requirements including the selection of appropriate PPE. Learn to follow industry guidelines for safe work zones and to implement control measures to reduce hazards and risks in the workplace.
What do I get for completing Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform?
Completing Interlink’s course meets the national requirements for the accredited Unit of Competency (UETDRVC004).
Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform (UETDRVC004) is a competency within the Certificate II in ESI – Powerline Vegetation Control.
You will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment when you successfully complete this course.
What will I learn during Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform?
Interlink’s course teaches you to prune, cut and trim trees and other vegetation near electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform. Learn about the different types of elevated work platform (EWP) and the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
Prepare and assess your worksite and follow a cutting plan specific to the plant species you are working with. Discover safe techniques for using vegetation control tools at heights and in confined spaces.
Find out what precautions to take to make sure you work safely around powerlines and other electrical apparatus. Develop the skills and confidence to identify and monitor any hazards to ensure your own safety and that of your workplace.
Learn the importance of cleaning up and ensuring your worksite is safe and rehabilitated on completion of your job. Carry out post operational checks on any tools and equipment including PPE, and go over your cutting plan and work schedule to ensure established procedures have been followed.
What sort of assessments can I expect to complete?
Interlink’s Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform (UETDRVC004) course contains a combination of written and practical assessments.
Written assessments test your knowledge of key learning outcomes including:
- Safe working practices, procedures and precautions specific to working with elevated work platforms
- Hazard assessment and risk management principles relevant to vegetation control
- Specialist methods for operating tools and equipment from an EWP including transporting and storage, earthing and pre-operational checks
- Types of elevated platforms used for vegetation control as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each model
- Descent control techniques such as load calculations, safety ropes and lines for lowering vegetation
- Safe use of vegetation control tools and equipment
- The purpose and use of cutting plans for specific tree or plant species
- Different branch cutting methods such as scarf under-cut, top cut and side scarf opposite back-cut techniques
- Emergency responses and rescue, including first aid.
Practical assessments assess your ability to demonstrate performance criteria such as:
- Undertaking cutting, pruning and tree trimming techniques near electrical apparatus from an EWP
- Applying relevant workplace health and safety requirements
- Incorporating sustainable energy principles and practices
- Demonstrating operational knowledge of the principles of electricity, the three-phase power system and safe working zones
- Recognising aerial voltage systems
- Selecting and wearing relevant personnel protective equipment (PPE)
- Identifying and controlling hazards
- Confirming appropriate machinery and cutting techniques for different vegetation and tree species
- Using suitable cutting and feeder route plans
- Using tools and equipment, such as hand saws, chainsaws and power pruners on an elevated platform
- Understanding and using chemical control methods
- Dealing with unplanned events and responding to incidents
- Performing platform aerial emergency rescue procedures safely
- Demonstrating the role of a safety observer.
Assessment are conducted within realistic, workplace settings and are held over the duration of the unit.
This course is available through all Interlink training centres.
Call Interlink on 1300 731 669 to discuss your training options.
Single accredited units run between 1-4 days. Contact Interlink to plan your study schedule.
To meet the requirements for Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform (UETDRVC004) you must also complete:
UETDREL002 Comply with environmental requirements
UETDREL006 Work safely in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus as a non-electrical worker
UETDRVC001 Apply work health and safety requirements for powerline vegetation control
UETDRVC007 Control vegetation using pruning techniques
UETDRVC009 Monitor vegetation control work in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus
To successfully complete this course participants will need intermediate literacy and numeracy skills.
Call Interlink on 1300 731 669 to discuss your training options.
Course fees vary per unit and duration. Please contact Interlink to find out more.
Please note: Interlink Training is not VET FEE-HELP approved. Government training subsidies are not available for this course.
Face-to-face sessions within small groups.
Control vegetation in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus from an elevated work platform (UETDRVC004) is a competency within the Certificate II in ESI – Powerline Vegetation Control. Complete your Certificate level qualification to work in the electricity supply industry.
Attendance at this course does not automatically guarantee attainment of competency, nor does satisfactory completion of assessment and attainment of competency guarantee employment.